A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Forty-Two

I am tired of hearing that there are no new ideas or new stories.  For one thing, I don't think it is a particularly useful thing to consider, even if it is true.  If I can't think of anything that is truly new, I can still think of things that are new to me, or that feel new.  I don't disagree with the idea that it is not necessary for an idea or story to be truly new in order for it to be of value, but that is not the same thing at all.  Why prescribe limits on what can be?  At best, it is just a trite saying, and at worst, it builds a box within which one must play.  Assuming all the ideas already exist, I am certain that I don't know them all, so even if it is true, that does not mean that buying into the idea isn't still limiting.  If I am certain that all the ideas have been thought up before, I am not going to look for anything different than what I know exists, which is already a subset of all the possible ideas that exist in this scenario.  

The real truth is, though, I don't get it because it necessities a limit on the number of possible ideas.  English, as with any language has a limited number of words, and those words have limits on their usage, rules that reduce the number of options for their assembly, and yet, I am fairly certain that I can write new sentences which are not the same as those another person would write.  Sure, some of my sentences will be more or less similar to others that already existed before I created them, and I may, on occasion, stumble into verbiage that is identical to another's, but I would never suggest that every sentence has already been written; indeed, that assertion would seem patently absurd, at least to me.  I think ideas are more numerous than words, and have far fewer rules on how to craft them.  How could a limit on the number of new ideas exist, and if is such a limit is impossible, if the number is truly infinite, how can their not be more to discover?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three