Poem: When You Say "Sorry"

When You Say "Sorry"

I do not want to be mean,
do not want to hurt you,
but you do not understand
the aggression of your apology,
the act of contrition you offer
is not one that comforts me,
not yet, at least.  No:
you betrayed me.  You knew
you were betraying me,
knew I was in pain.
But you wanted what you wanted,
even if it was at the cost
of any trust I had in you.
I love you.  You are my brother
and I love you even now,
even now, the damage,
unfixable, done.  Yes,
I do love you,
as I always have,
but I cannot let you think
I am ready to give you permission
for what you already did.
You knew.  You chose this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three