Poem: It Has Been Only A Few Weeks

It Has Been Only A Few Weeks

that you are gone,
but much has happened:
too much and nothing,
and other things as well.
We travelled
and it was not enough
was too short,
but was overwhelming,
an inundation, a deluge.
It has all been this way,
is all more and less,
is all absence and excess,
but never one, only both.
I will have to tell you more,
will have to explain it all:
I know that.  I can say more,
can give clarity, detail,
talk of the shade brought
by the absent tree,
talk of the ditch in my kitchen
that lies where the tile once was,
the shape of it, the depth.
I am not certain it matters,
it is only another hole,
is only an emptiness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three