A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-And-Twelve

 One of the difficulties I am having with placing my fiction is the length of many of my stories.  The two that I am most fond of are both quite long.  One is around 8,500 words and the other is over 10,000, I believe, but they are both stories I feel I executed quite well.  One is written in a unique style, and is a bit of a shaggy dog story in the vein of Kafka, and the other involves the character encountering a band of faerie creatures who proceed to take over their home, but with a twist at the end that I am quite proud of.  I need to start working on some more fiction, and I want to attempt to get better at shorter pieces.  I have an idea, actually, to do a longer work that is built on short fiction, but I am not certain about it quite yet.  Ideas remain nebulous, at times, but when it is ready, I am sure it will come into focus...  In any event, I think it is a good thing for me to start working on some new short fiction, and I am thinking that I should try and limit myself in length on it for the moment.  In truth, I have no ideas, right at this moment, for the stories and am not certain I know, fully, how to control the length of a story in that way, but I am sure I can learn.  It is often more the commitment to the act that matters most, for me, and the inspiration arrives from necessity.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three