A Writer's Notebook, Day Nine-Hundred-And-Ninety-Four

A friend of mine invited me to checkout Clubhouse, which, to be honest, I had never heard of.  So far, I am not really sure I understand it on any level.  I mean, I realize the concept, but the interface has me at a loss.  I wish that I could find a way to interact with social media and other internet technology that was not so alienating for me.  Even discussing this, I think that it might just sound like a rant by an old dude, but I am a person who loves technology, or at least, I love the idea of technology.  The reality, for me, has been upsetting, in a great many ways.  Many of the areas where I have neurological differences are to do with spatial awareness, hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, and processing visual information.  My ability to remember image patterns is quite low, though I score high when dealing with other types of memory.  For me, even attempting to recall what a symbol means can be challenging.  Even more, the multiple fonts and text sizes create a jumble that makes reading the specific information so difficult.  I often cannot tell what is a tweet, for example, and what is a username.  I need a way to sort the information so I can process it, and that extracts it into a format that does not require so much intense visual decoding.  I have looked, and so far as I can tell, such tools do not exist.  The problem is, though, it has become a necessity to be involved in these platforms.  I am told over and over about the support found in online communities, about the ways it can help to build an audience or create a support system, or find out new opportunities, or any of a myriad other vital tasks of the modern world.  I want those things, but the design philosophy behind all these platforms makes these mediums literal obstacle courses for a person who is neurodiverse in the ways I am.  I am going to give Clubhouse a try, but just looking at it tonight, I was overwhelmed, even worse when I attempted to find content on it that interested me.  My friend offered to help me try and get a handle on it when he is free tomorrow, so am going to give it my best and hope it is just my previous experience misleading me.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three