Poem: You Swore to Protect Us

You Swore to Protect Us

That promise seems a thing of importance,
that it was made matters: it must be kept.
But, I do not think you understand
what it was you promised
when you offered your protection,
already I know 
you have brought this about,
have given council without consideration.
You never sought to understand,
even when you heard there was a rift,
a disagreement your council
was to take action without care
for my feelings, for the impact on me.
Perhaps, you thought it would not conflict
with what you told me, with the promise
you say you once gave,
you may even believe you are fulfilling it,
but I do not feel safe at all,
I do not even trust you to know
any longer what it is
that must be protected.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three