A Writer's Notebook, Day Nine-Hundred-And-Five

 I have another meeting with Freesia tomorrow, so I am thinking about the poetry manuscript quite a bit.  There is a lot of work to be done for it, and I am not yet at the point where it has come together into a clear vision, but I know that it is a process, and I am working my way through it.  I think the next step is going to be starting to find ways to put the poems into groups.  I think of the manuscript as being built from sets of poems, and that these sets then interconnect with the rest of the book.  The poems in these groupings need to be connected in ways that the reader will notice, and making that work will require revision and shaping, but that all has to be in service of something already in the poems, something that will unite them in my thinking, and those connections between the poems are what makes the thematic structure and through-line of the book.  At least, that is the general idea.  Right now, there are quite a few poems that are ready to be part of this book, but I need to figure out how those poems fit together, and finding those smaller groupings is, I think, the key step in that larger journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three