A Writer's Notebook, Day Nine-Hundred-And-Twenty-Five

One of my natural inclinations as a poet is towards cleverness.  This can be a strength, and there are many poets who utilize this kind of humorous approach, but I also realize that, for me, it can become a way to hide.  It is easy to go towards a clever response instead of one that is more sincere, which may be more revealing or risky.  It is a natural instinct, I suppose, but it is also something I need to move beyond.  I know that I will always have those elements in my work, but I need to learn ways of using those tools in new ways, not to cover up where I am uncomfortable being straightforward. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three