A Writer's Notebook, Day Nine-Hundred-And-Twenty-Four

 I was able, at last, to get my first vaccine today.  It was not a matter of my delaying this necessity intentionally or selfishly, but a combination of practical issues.  First, I have had very serious reactions to vaccines in the past, and it was necessary for me to get clearance from an allergist before I could be certain it would be safe.  Having had life threatening reactions to flu vaccinations as a child, and being warned to stay away from that particular inoculation for life, it was a serious concern.  Fortunately, I was cleared, and able to sign up for my dosage.  I had sent in a request earlier, even though I knew I might have to delay.  At the time, I was merely getting on the list for when my age group was eligible, not signing up for an actual appointment, and by the time I was eligible, I had been to the doctor, but I never was called to schedule my appointment.  I received a call a bit before I was eligible, an automated message asking if I still needed the vaccine.  I said yes, or I think I did, but it is easy for me to mess such things up, especially on a cellular phone, where the screen often goes blank on me when trying to type, and the keypad often doesn't go through when I use speaker or bluetooth.  Maybe those last two are just my own technical incompetency...  I did get the vaccine, and, though it is still only my first dose, I feel better to have received it.  Strange, though it means nothing yet, in the sense of actual protection, I do have that sense of having protected myself.  I know it is not true, at this point, and am not going out to be reckless now, or anything.  Perhaps it is more the knowledge I am taking the steps I must to get through this, to help, in the ways I can, make sure we all do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three