A Writer's Notebook, Day Eight-Hundred-And--Fifty-One

The hundredth rejection arrived, as expected.  I suppose it is better to not be sitting, waiting, though there is far more work that I have not heard back on yet.  It does feel significant, but I also am aware that it means nothing, in some sense.  I do not believe that most journals are biased in accepting work from writers who have been widely rejected, or that this sort of rejection accumulates in a literal way.  At the same time, if one is to say that the issue is purely about luck, as many do, I have to wonder about the odds,.  I feel it is quite abnormal to have this degree of difficulty breaking through.  I have looked into the averages for rejections and acceptances, but finding information on this specific aspect is not easy.  I know that many writers have severe difficult getting an agent, but that is a different issue than getting work accepted by journals.  I just want to have concrete evidence that I am progressing and not just accumulating an increasing, and ultimately endless, stream of rejections.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Poem: Is He Gone, Now