Poem: It Took More Time Than I Had Expected

It Took More Time Than I Had Expected

and now it is late, and I am here
not even finished with what must be done,
and I know it is my own fault,
I could have started sooner,
could have been smart enough
to think, "it may take longer
than you are expecting," but
I did not.  I waited to start,
sat around, did nothing
that would matter as much,
just let my thumbs do
all the fiddling they could want,
and did not think 
it would matter at all,
but now it is late,
now I am here still
while the clock rolls
to the next hour,
that big hand feels heavy now,
has reached the point
where it does not rise 
but begins to fall,
and I feel it on me,
the weight as it drops,
and I could have started
when there were hours left in the day,
but I chose to wait, and now
I am so tired.  But still,
I cannot be certain
the results would have been
even half as good
if I had rushed
or started before
I knew I was ready.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three