Poem: A Forgotten Voice Was Called

A Forgotten Voice Was Called

I do not have a song for you tonight,
though it is dark enough
that I consider rising
from these ruins,
walking out from this place
of abandonment this forgotten land.
It is my choice, being here,
not allowing memory to stir,
not risking the fragile ground,
the brittle, hollow land
that rests beneath my feet.
I have no song tonight, 
not even with the moonless
and starless sky, when I know
it is silent, empty,
that all who are of the world
would never notice.  Not tonight.
I cannot sing tonight,
though it would be good
to be asked again, to be asked
and asked.  That would be good,
but I will not sing tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three