Poem: Before He Was Gone

Before He Was Gone

I missed him
for years, already, almost
enough for decades
to be counted
between the time
when we spoke,
when I did not think of him
in the past,
a person I knew
before the train
had left one station
for the next,
and was I the one
who rode it away
or the one on the platform,
was the fog on the glass
my breath, or his?
It does not matter now.
I missed him already,
but it does not matter
the way I missed him
then.  You miss him now,
and I still miss him,
was missing him already,
but not the way
it is to miss him now.
The old pain
does not go
because of the new one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three