A Writer's Notebook, Day Eight-Hundred-And-Two

My writing today was still quite slow, and I know I am not feeling as motivated in that direction at the moment, but I am finding that I am having a lot of creative thoughts in other directions, which I believe will allow me to create some very interesting things.  In fact, at some point soon I might begin to start a project and document it here, but I want to get a bit of an idea of what I am doing first.  As I mentioned before, I am getting very interested in paper popup designs, which is an extension, for me, of my interest in origami.  While I had an interest in my youth, what reignited this in more recent years was a lecture by Robert J. Lang, a physicist who became fascinated with origami, applying his mathematical and scientific thinking to the field.  His work offers a proof that any form can be reproduced in paper, if one has a large enough sheet of paper.   I have begun to think of kinetic paper sculptures as fourth dimensional origami, as paper folding with a temporal dimension added.  Now, the principles and tools that Lang created are not an exact corollary for those in the area I am now exploring, but that does not change the underlying realization that there is a great deal more potential within this area, that there are amazing things that can be conceives of and created with the simplest of materials.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Three Is Coming

Poem: Is He Gone, Now

A Writer's Notebook, Day Seventy-One