A Writer's Notebook, Day Seven-Hundred-And-Seventy-Four

I am thinking a lot about my brother tonight.  My relationship with him has been very strained, and it has gotten far worse in the recent past.  It is, however, only a matter of it being more acute, but I think the underlying issues have been there for a long while.  The specific cause of the recent escalation in tensions is my brother's decision to buy a house down the street from the one that Melissa and I just bought.  As I have mentioned, I believe, I asked him not to purchase a house so close to me, and he agreed to this without commenting upon the issue.  If he had spoken with me in advance, it might well have been different, and we could be quite a bit closer, but instead, it felt, and still feels, as if my feelings are not at all important to him in any real sense, as if my perspective is not worth seeing as legitimate or meaningful.  He has claimed, subsequent to my being upset, that he was hurt by my not wanting him to live there, and that may well be, but he never said anything about this until he had created a situation where my feelings were only relevant as an imposition I was putting on him.  As well, it seems rather strange for him to say this, considering statements he has made before.  Once, when Melissa and I were out for a pleasant dinner with Eugene, during a mild conversation, he decided to state that if we were not brothers, and had just met by chance, he would not be my friend at all.  Yet, he claims, now, that I am hurting him by my response.  The entire thing has had me feeling terrible for so long now, and I do not know at all what to do about it.  In truth, I want him to take some kind of action that shows he actually understands and respects me, but that does not seem likely, and I am not sure what kind of gesture he could make at this point, considering he has already committed to buying this house.  His behavior has done nothing but make me feel that I am correct in my assessment of the situation, especially as he has never truly taken any kind of real responsibility for hitting me (on purpose) with his car, but has, instead, minimized it as much as possible.  I don't know what is possible, and I feel as if any effort I make will just become a tool for manipulating me and making me feel even smaller.  I've tried for so long to do things to bring us closer together and to demonstrate my care for him, but he always responds in a way that makes it feel like a wasted effort.  I hope this time turns out to be different, especially because it will be impossible to be happy in this house, for either Melissa or I, if it does not change when he lives here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three