A Writer's Notebook, Day Seven-Hundred-And-Sixty-Five

 A few days ago, I happened across a comment by a literary agent asking writers to show respect to editors and agents by not sending work to their emails over the weekend.  It is a reasonable request, and it mirrors a complain I have had for some time now, about the proliferation of rejection letters I receive during weekends or at non-business hours.  I received a rejection in my email at seven in the morning today.  What a great start to a Sunday.   At other times, I've received them in the middle of the night from editors in my time-zone, which is only an issue if it happens you are awake, but if I am having trouble sleeping and look at my phone, it does not help me to see a new rejection hit my inbox, but, truly, I would forgive this if I knew I wasn't going to receive them on the weekend.  The thing is, I feel even saying this, here on my blog, might be detrimental to me.  That is why I didn't respond to that tweet the other day, suggesting that it was not only an issue for writers.  In truth, I have half a mind to erase this and start over, but I don't think it is so unreasonable to suggest that editors treat rejections as a business task, and make certain the emails are delivered during the business week.  At the moment, this is a larger matter than just a formality.  By the nature of the pandemic, their is very little that differentiates days, that marks the weekend.  Receiving rejection emails during that time period damages what little their is already to set those days apart from the work week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three