Poem: Where We Disagree

Where We Disagree

Some of what you say
is sensible to me,

is agreeable: not holding meaning
so tight, not demanding it,

and not demanding agreement,
not focusing only on what is agreeable,

what is easy, a willingness
to take the risk of offending

by offering ideas
that are not your own,

that may not even appeal,
perhaps upset or anger.

I can agree with you,
that is all good,

but other things,
I do not know

if they are agreeable
as ideas I will accept,

and do not suggest
I must give you that chance,

that you are due
the opportunity,

or point out that I have said
I agree with your ethos

of challenge, of difficulty,
of accepting other views.

What I desire you to do
is not what will rule me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three