Poem: Survival

Survival

It is not that I want anyone to die,
or that I desire things
to go badly, that I am seeking vengeance,
but if he is making it an issue
in the political sense,
and he is, he has, will,
it is clear, and listen
to what is said,
to those claiming
his recovery as proof
of some superiority,
as though he is the result
of a eugenicists wet-dream,
tell me I should not
hope for them
to be proven wrong,
that it is not necessary,
that it has not been made necessary,
that I should not think of it
in those terms too,
and explain to me
how I can do that
without despairing,
without recognizing
that he and his supporters
have made his survival
an ideological threat
to that of others,
that it will not embolden
the worst, prove to them
that they cannot be stopped,
are correct in all they wish to do.
It is clear what it will mean,
it is clear, and the terror
is he has made it
so it is impossible
not to know,
I do not want to feel
it is best for things to go wrong,
but any outcome
is things going wrong,
it is impossible
to see it any other way.
Do not dismiss
those who think
he is here
to make America
the nation the God
they believe in
would want it to be,
or what they are seeing,
saying.  It is clear
already, was apparent
even earlier.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three