A Writer's Notebook, Day Seven-Hundred-And-Sixty-Three

 I took it a bit easier today, in terms of my writing output, and I think it is good for me to be more comfortable with that sort of fluctuation.  I think it is important for me to write each day, and I do care about the daily output, but that is not only a matter of quantity, and many of the results are not even about what I write directly.  I realized this when I was at that point of being drained and not feeling at all motivated to write another poem, a sense that lasted far too long, and I worried it would continue.  I saw the importance of caring for myself, and of recognizing that I may need more downtime some days then others.  It is good to be able to go from a day like yesterday, where I wrote fifteen or twenty pieces, to today, when I only have four poems to show for it.  In the end, it may be, of course, that one of the poems I wrote today is a far greater work than anything I did yesterday.  Writing more poems is not a key to writing a better poem today, it is a different thing, and the importance of doing work each day does not define how much work that needs to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three