Poem: I Am Only A Messenger

I Am Only A Messenger

There will be what you
must do, and also
what I, too, must do,
and do not think
because you hear
from me always
that you must do this
and I must do that instead
that I am choosing,
no, I do not choose
who gets to do what,
it is that I know
what must be done
and who must do what,
I do not choose,
it is only coincidence
I am always discovering
that you are better
at the difficult tasks
and I am best
at taking naps in the sun,
but do not think
it is that I choose,
it is a compliment
that you must do those things
which require concentration
or skill and effort
and if I were the type
to take advantage of you
and not doing my share,
do you think I would want
to let you know
you are so much better
at everything than I am?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three