Poem: As It Has Always Been

As It Has Always Been

It is this way, and I will not think
of any other way it might be,
because it must be this way,
has always been that way,
has always been the way I have seen it,
so it must be that way, 
it would be wrong
for it to be another way,
it would mean I needed to care
about things I do not think about,
it cannot be that way,
cannot be any way
that makes me reconsider
myself, no, because I know
I am a good person,
it is not possible for me
to not be a good person, 
not at all, that cannot be,
so it must be that I am right,
because if I am not right,
I would have to rethink
how I have behaved
and whether I have caused harm,
but I know I am a good person,
it is not possible for me
to not be a good person,
so it must be this way,
as I have always known,
as I was taught
by the good people
who raised me,
who taught me the values
of what it is to be a good person
and how good people think
and act, and who it is
good people think about
when they consider
who is worth caring for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three