Poem: Please Get Out of My House

Please Get Out of My House

It would be different
if you were a cat
or perhaps a small lizard,
but this does not work,
not at all.  It is not personal,
but you are a duck
and do not seem to have
any understanding of manners,
of how company should behave,
have already made such a mess,
white stains on the tiles, the walls,
the smell of it all, and the noise of you,
and it does not seem you are happy:
we have nothing for you, not even a filled tub,
but each time I open the door
you only honk again and gnash at me
with your beak, and I do not want
another encounter like that,
so I am asking, though it seems silly,
because perhaps you will understand,
will realize that I do not mean harm,
that I am only seeking to show you
the path back to the freedom of open sky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three