A Writer's Notebook, Day Seven-Hundred-And-Forty-Five

I have been playing around with writing poems that take after traditions in conceptual art, in which the poem is more of a figurative object, not an actual poem, but an idea of the poem for the reader to engage with.  To offer an example;

Morning Poem

My poem is the words you would use to describe the sky the last time you were awake at dawn.


I am aware that many people would probably laugh at me for a thing of that sort, and would assume it is not a serious endeavor, but the point is, in part, to question what a poem is, to examine ideas about what it means to say a thing is a poem.  I claim that this is a poem, and that the words of it are not the words written here, but are the ones that come in response, and that I am the writer of that poem.  At the same time, this kind of work has to be irreverent, by the nature of what it means to challenge the status quo, and I recognize that work of this sort of work can seem silly, but I think that silliness is a result of the fact that it stretches the idea of a poem so far out of shape.  Encountering it, I can imagine easily that it might not make sense to some readers, but that is a necessary aspect of the work itself.  I do wonder whether poems of this sort would be accepted for publication, to be honest, and I think it is the kind of work I might never be able to do without establishing my ability to write more traditional pieces first.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Le Guin, Steering The Craft, Chapter Five: Adjectives and Adverbs (Exercise Five, Chastity)