A Writer's Notebook, Day Seven-Hundred-And-Fifty-Three

 I spent some time this evening writing a short piece I have been meaning to get done for over a week now.  It is a piece that had certain restraints, in terms of the format, and I found it hard to get myself started, but once I got myself going, I found my own way through it.  In truth, I know that the issue was more one of procrastination than anything.  It is funny, but I still feel like I am a major procrastinator, even though I get a great deal of work done each day, and often as one of the first things that I do in the morning.  At the same time, I am aware of my history of not working, and am also aware that I often put work off in one way or another, even just saying to myself, in the afternoon or early evening, that I will wait a bit before getting to writing, or, as with this, working but not on a specific project.  I don't know that it is always a bad thing, for example, in this case, I feel that I might not have been able to find the right hook if I hadn't waited.  In some ways, I cannot tell if I am procrastinating or just working on the idea in the background, and I am not sure their is a real difference.  Perhaps, if I had started soon, it would have been more difficult and not as good, or it might be almost the same.  Maybe, my interpretation of what happens is a result of how long I wait, an illusion to defend this bad habit, or maybe it is true that the ideas are percolating.  I cannot say if it might be possible for me to write with less hesitation of this sort, but I know that I am proud of the work, and I think that is more significant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three