A Writer's Notebook, Day Seven-Hundred-And-Forty-Six

 I was invited to take part in an online conversation with several other poets this evening.  In general, I do not have a great many opportunities to take part in these kinds of dialogues.  The last time I was continually involved in a community of that sort was while I was in graduate school, and since then, I have been largely surrounded by non-writers, and certainly non-poets.  One of the major parts of taking a workshop at the Palm Beach Poetry Festival in the past few years has been the community aspects, and I've made numerous friends who I have kept in touch with over the years, even some who I have seen outside the festival week.  Even more than those friendships, however, is the ability to discuss and consider ideas with other writers.  I attempt, as much as I can, to use this blog as a way to discuss the various things on my mind, whether it is a specific idea related to the work I am engaged with, my frustrations about developing my publishing credentials, or whatever it may be that comes.  Often, I know that I fail to engage in much more than recounting my progress, and I acknowledge that this blog has existed from the start, in part, to help keep me motivated and accountable, and that reality does cause me, at times, to rush through a quick entry late at night (often not as late as it is now, ironically).  But, even were I writing more comprehensive blog posts each night, with a focus on serious issues surrounding writing and poetry, that is never a substitute for the opportunity to engage with others and work through those ideas.  I am not always inclined to join groups, and often find that the communities I have access to are not quite right for me, and so I do find a great pleasure in the opportunities I get, and I think that, beyond whatever I may gain intellectual from these dialogues (which should not be dismissed), the thing I can often take away for myself is more the energy, is the sense of communing others who share a connection to the same type of work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Le Guin, Steering The Craft, Chapter Five: Adjectives and Adverbs (Exercise Five, Chastity)