A Writer's Notebook, Day Seven-Hundred-And-Forty-Five

 I am doing well in terms of getting that chapbook organized.  I did quite a bit of work on it tonight and am getting close to having the draft ready.  I am certain, once I have it together, I will have other work to do, as I am yet to see the full piece assembled, which will change it, I am certain.  My goal in crafting this collection is, as I have said, to make a cohesive experience, to bind the poems together in a way that makes it feel as if they are of a whole.  In order to do this, I am creating a sort of ghost narrative by assembling the work from poems that all gesture towards similar events, and weaving the interconnections that make it clear their is a progression through the pieces.  In many ways, I am thinking of it more as akin to the way a piece of music can seem to convey a sense of narrative, even if it is not clear in terms of the details.  I suppose it is more accurate to call it a journey rather than a narrative, but I am not meaning a story or plot, more the sense of a through-line and a movement to a destination.   In doing this, I have been using titles as a major tool, since I often wind up writing poems and waiting to add a title until later.  In this case, it happens that all the poems had yet to be given titles, so I found ways to create titles that connect specific poems together, in order to make subtle aspects of the construction easy to recognize.  What is quite interesting is that I am attempting to do this in a way that involves creating titles that change in reference to different perspectives and poems, so that the same title can reappear in a way that is intended to change what the title means, and thus allows the second poem to, I hope, change the impact of the first poem.  I am not certain that it is working, to be honest, though I am finding it an interesting challenge, and it has me considering aspects of my work I do not usually focus on, which is quite helpful, but I cannot say, yet, that the titles are effective.  I think that the key is in discovering a context and a central image that can apply to both pieces, but which has a very different symbolic meaning in the second poem, a meaning that is less literal and more complicated so that the reader will recontextualize the first poem as a result.  I think that, if I am successful, this approach may be one I want to explore further, especially as I know the way some other poets have played with ideas similar to this in recent work, though with very different techniques.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Le Guin, Steering The Craft, Chapter Five: Adjectives and Adverbs (Exercise Five, Chastity)