A Writer's Notebook, Day Seven-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three

I am not really certain what to write on here, if I am honest.  I got my work done early today, and have been successful in getting back on schedule.  I've a clearer sense of the story I am writing, and it seems to be shaping up in a way that feels promising to me.  At the same time, I cannot deny that I am still feeling quite low and lacking the same drive.  I've been writing only two poems for a long while now, and I know I should begin doing more again, but I don't feel the drive to do much more at the moment.  The continuous rejection has me quite on edge, and it is impacting me in ways that I know are not good, but I am not certain how to do anything about it.  I am glad that I still am doing the work, and I take it as a good sign in general, but I've not felt this dejected and lacking in motivation about writing for a long time, and I just do not know what to do.  I cannot help but feel that I have wasted my life by pursuing writing as a profession, and the only hope of changing that feeling is to prove it is not true, and at the moment I cannot get anywhere in that regard.   I know I need to figure out something, and I am certain that many will tell me it is a matter of altering my attitude and such, and I wish that would work, but at this point, I can't just accept this and think of it in those terms, not when I have spent my life studying, have spent tens of thousands of hours and dollars on an education in pursuit of this, especially not when I know I would never have made this choice if I had not received encouragement and promises, both direct and indirect, of help in my professional pursuits, none of which have come to pass.  I have attempted to reconcile my current predicament in a way that does not result in my feeling like a failure, but I always feel that is a lie.  If I cannot make a success of this, I am failing, and that is not acceptable to me.  That is the bottom line, and I am not willing to pretend that I am happy when I am failing.  Of course, that just leaves me in the position of accepting that I am miserable and have no way to fix it and it is destroying me, but I am hoping it is still progress in some way...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Le Guin, Steering The Craft, Chapter Five: Adjectives and Adverbs (Exercise Five, Chastity)