Poem: They Said To Walk Here

They Said To Walk Here

All the maps and signs,
the guidebooks, the guides
I spoke with, everyone
said this was the path,
pointed this way, 
but I have arrived
and it cannot be
that this is the place
that they all meant,
because there is nothing here,
not a path at all,
not any place to walk,
it is empty and dark
and not a place,
it is only an edge,
if I were to cross it
I do not know
where I would be walking
or what place this is,
but perhaps they knew
I needed a walk
that would be a challenge,
or it may be they wished
I would leap in and be gone.
It is impossible to know,
but I was told to walk here,
I was told again and again
this was the place
that I needed to go
in order to make my journey,
asked trusted advisors,
experts, friends, anyone
who might have input
that I could value,
and all said to come here,
but what do I do now
when here is nothing
but an emptiness,
when I do not know
if I can even walk
once I have entered?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Writer's Notebook, Day Two-Hundred-And-Fifty

A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-Fifty-Nine

Poem: Already Over