A Writer's Notebook, Day Seven-Hundred-And-Eight

It is quite late and I only wrote five poems today.  I was a bit distracted, as I had other obligations to attend, but I wanted to get more work done.  I feel that I made a bit of a breakthrough for the story, though it is still coming slowly.  I was finding myself having a bit of trouble because I was sort of between things.  I know what is coming, but I am not their yet, and things need to happen, but what is coming is not dependent on those things happening at this moment, which makes it difficult to be certain what would work.  It needs to be important to the story, but is not integral to that aspect of the plot, so that poses a challenge.  I am not wanting to just throw an event in that is not relevant just to keep the story moving along, but that is kind of where I am in the plot at the moment.  Tonight, a lot of that began to clear up for me, as I found a direction for the current moment in the story that feels interesting and unexpected, but also relates to a great deal of what is beneath the story.  The thing about this piece is that it all hinges on a twist that will alter the meaning of the events in the story, and that I am hoping to link to a larger set of ideas as well, but it is also necessary for that new interpretation to make sense and feel connected, and that can be accomplished in subtext, thematic elements, as well as with various contextual clues that I hope will not be noticed until the end.  This means that having a point in the story like the one I am dealing with now is an opportunity to do things that can lay that groundwork, and being close to the ending now, it feels appropriate to begin intensifying some aspects of that in order to make the turn work better.  It feels as if I have a way to do that which came to me tonight, and I feel a lot more on track with it than I had before, so, though I do wish I had spent more time writing today, I recognize the value of the work I did accomplish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Writer's Notebook, Day Two-Hundred-And-Fifty

A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-Fifty-Nine

Poem: Already Over