A Writer's Notebook, Day Seven-Hundred-And-Six

I did begin to push myself again today, though it was not anything close to the twenty poems I had been writing.  The point, however, was not to immediately return to that level of productivity, but to get myself back on a more defined schedule.  I wrote five poems today, as well as my fiction work, and it seemed rather easy, if I am honest.  It was harder to get myself to do the work than to actually do it.  I think tomorrow, I will be able to push myself further.  It was more a matter of starting than anything.

I'm aware, as well, that I have added fiction to the routine and that this impacts the overall work.  It is a balance, as all things are, and I know that their needs to be a certain flexibility, since I approach fiction a bit differently than poetry.  It is not often that I will not write a first draft of a poem in a single setting, but that is not always possible with fiction, so, while I am writing fiction each day, the amount varies greatly.  Of course, the size of a poem is not predefined, but I have a general sense of the amount of work I am doing based on the number of poems I aim to write.  There are days when I might write far longer than others, even if it is all poetry, but I can have a sense in general with the poems of how long each one should take.  With a story, I can find myself getting sucked in to a scene or not having more than a paragraph or two in my head.  It is a very different process and involves more variability, so it may require changing how I approach the work, so, at the moment, I am keeping that in mind as I move back towards a more rigorous daily routine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Writer's Notebook, Day Two-Hundred-And-Fifty

A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-Fifty-Nine

Poem: Already Over