A Writer's Notebook, Day Seven-Hundred-And-Thirty

 The idea for my new story is shaping up.  It is interesting how the ideas I had already when I began, which were, as I said, largely about the start of the story, the inciting event of it and the general tone and setting, but the plot and characters were a bit less clear.  Now, I have a sense of the story on a larger level, but am still waiting for it to come into focus.  Their are numerous ideas that are coming together, some of which I had already been playing with, though I did not think they would fit in this story, and others that are new or which are variations on concepts I've played with but never considered in a specific story.  It is becoming a much more science-fiction piece when I had thought it would be fantasy, and I have a sense that the story has a real thrust to it, not only in terms of what I know, but in the subtext beneath it.  It feels like it will be a very interesting piece, but I am still at the start and have yet to figure out many of the specifics but the narrative is taking hold in ways I recognize, bringing surprising ideas to me when I don't expect it.  I had been quite nervous about writing more fiction this week, felt that I did not have an idea for a story that was ready to go, but it feels very much that it is coming together.  At times, it feels very much that just going forward into the work and trusting that process is the best way for me to get my imagination and inspiration into gear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Writer's Notebook, Day Two-Hundred-And-Fifty

A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-Fifty-Nine

Poem: Already Over