A Writer's Notebook, Day Six-Hundred-And-Fifteem

As mentioned, it has already been a rather trying week in various ways, so I will acknowledge that I am already a bit frayed emotionally, but I received a rejection today that has me quite upset. 

Some time last year, I took part in an open mic reading that is hosted by a journal in this area.  At the time, one of the editors came up and asked me to submit a specific poem that I had read.  This was not the first time I had met this editor, and I know a number of the other people involved.

Now, I know better than to expect that work being solicited, especially in such a context, is any sort of guarantee it will be accepted.  I can deal with that.  Rejection always hurts, but is not something I can avoid, even were I not a writer.  I will acknowledge that I was very hopeful, under the circumstances, but I do not take real umbrage at this.

What does upset me, though, is receiving a form rejection in such a case.  It is worth noting that the editor who sent the email is a person whom I have helped out with research for their own work, and who currently is borrowing a number of my books.  It is very hard not to feel insulted.

Now, I am not meaning this as a way to express a sense of what I deserve as a writer or any of that.  I am well aware that a great many writers think anyone who rejects their work is not worthy of making that decision.  I have heard about emails that agents and editors will at times get after sending out rejections, vitriolic attacks by writers unable to cope with their work being rejected.  I know that rejecting work is already uncomfortable for those on the other side, and, while would rather not face rejection, I attempt to keep it in perspective.  One reason I am not naming the journal involve in this is because I know I could be overreacting, though I do not think so.

I mean, I don't care if they had given me a detailed critique or any commentary on the work at all, but taking a moment to put a personal touch on the email would have gone a long way.  Now, if I am wrong about this, I am willing to rethink things, but at the moment I am feeling rather insulted about this whole thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three