A Writer's Notebook, Day Four-Hundred-And-Eighteen

In many ways, I feel that my poetry has recently made some interesting progress.  I do not know, if I am honest, whether the individual poems stand up, but I know that the work is going in new directions.  Experimentation is always important, and finding that I am exploring new ideas of how a poem can work is a very positive sign.  I have, of course, had periods in which I was writing a great many poems with similar qualities, and those periods can be quite important, especially in learning a particular lesson or discovering how one technique works.  But, I also have to admit that I am sometimes a bit stifled with that kind of focus.  I think I have mentioned this before, at times when I have been in a rut, commenting about how I would like to stop writing so much about one thing, or using one particular approach.  In such periods, I appreciate that I am making a specific kind of progress, but I often feel stuck or trapped at the same time.  

At present, though, I am writing a lot of different types of poems.  I am often finding them arising from new ideas of how I might start a poem, or even concepts around the way to organize and structure language in order to create a different kind of poem.  Some of this is directly inspired by other work I have read or been exposed to, though often in an intuitive and unplanned way.  In the end, I am feeling a certain playfulness in the work, a sense that I can try anything, even if it seems silly or a bad idea.  Some such risks pay off, and even those that don't may yield important lessons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Poem: Is He Gone, Now