A Writer's Notebook, Day Three-Hundred-And-Forty-Eight

As I have mentioned, I am getting prepared for my poetry reading at The Book Cellar in Lake Worth next Sunday.  I've been reading and rereading the work that I am intending to present.  Initially, I actually went through and did a final series of line edits to clear up a few little things here and there that I noticed, and since then have just been working to make sure I have the material in my head, at least to some extent.  Really, I would like to memorize the set, but I have been somewhat distracted and haven't succeeded at that so far.  It may happen, still, of course, but I am not counting on it.

In part, I am being silly about it, but it feels like a big deal.  Today, I went and read a few pieces at an open mic here in Boca and I felt that the work received a warm reception.  I was careful not to read the work that I have slated for next week, as I was partially attempting to use this event as an opportunity to tell people about the event.  A number of people came up to me after to express their appreciation for the work, and I feel that I made a positive impression.  

That makes me relax a bit about next week.  I am not really certain what it is that has me so nervous about it, other than the fact that it is the first reading I've been asked to headline in a very long time.  I am sure that the poems I will be reading are good, and I think it is a varied and set, with some really powerful moments in it.  I am planning to read some poems that are personal and I do feel a bit vulnerable about that, but I also realize that their is strength in that kind of truth.

In the end, I am certain the event will go well.  I know that the reading series gets a decent crowd in general, and I am confident in the work itself.  I'm also aware that I am able to read my work fairly well.  Some very good poets I have met have difficulty with this, but I am fortunate to have a bit of experience with performance, and a voice that carries pretty well.  So, though I am working to be prepared and feel a desire to be ready, I am not going to let myself get too worried either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Le Guin, Steering The Craft, Chapter Five: Adjectives and Adverbs (Exercise Five, Chastity)