A Writer's Notebook, Day Three-Hundred-And-Forty-Eight

As I have mentioned, I am getting prepared for my poetry reading at The Book Cellar in Lake Worth next Sunday.  I've been reading and rereading the work that I am intending to present.  Initially, I actually went through and did a final series of line edits to clear up a few little things here and there that I noticed, and since then have just been working to make sure I have the material in my head, at least to some extent.  Really, I would like to memorize the set, but I have been somewhat distracted and haven't succeeded at that so far.  It may happen, still, of course, but I am not counting on it.

In part, I am being silly about it, but it feels like a big deal.  Today, I went and read a few pieces at an open mic here in Boca and I felt that the work received a warm reception.  I was careful not to read the work that I have slated for next week, as I was partially attempting to use this event as an opportunity to tell people about the event.  A number of people came up to me after to express their appreciation for the work, and I feel that I made a positive impression.  

That makes me relax a bit about next week.  I am not really certain what it is that has me so nervous about it, other than the fact that it is the first reading I've been asked to headline in a very long time.  I am sure that the poems I will be reading are good, and I think it is a varied and set, with some really powerful moments in it.  I am planning to read some poems that are personal and I do feel a bit vulnerable about that, but I also realize that their is strength in that kind of truth.

In the end, I am certain the event will go well.  I know that the reading series gets a decent crowd in general, and I am confident in the work itself.  I'm also aware that I am able to read my work fairly well.  Some very good poets I have met have difficulty with this, but I am fortunate to have a bit of experience with performance, and a voice that carries pretty well.  So, though I am working to be prepared and feel a desire to be ready, I am not going to let myself get too worried either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Writer's Notebook, Day Two-Hundred-And-Fifty

A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-Fifty-Nine

Poem: Already Over