A Writer's Notebook, Day Three-Hundred-And-Sixty-Three

It is a constant, and being self-aware of it makes it no less true, though a tad ironic, but again I am in a bit of doubt about the direction of my current work.  I do feel I understand it, really, and I think it is much like what I was describing yesterday.  It feels to me that I am currently, perhaps, relying too much on the newer aspects of my work, not bringing the full power of what I have done in the past.

This is not identical to the issue I had discussed yesterday, but I do think it shares the same underlying pattern.  In this case, I am writing a great many poems that I am finding fit certain more familiar aspects with my past work, but I am noticing that the smaller levels of the work are not reflecting elements that I would like to see more of again.  For example, I am not writing certain types of details as fluently at the moment.

Now, I think this is, again, just a step in the process of learning.  At the moment, some of the new ideas I have are not fully formed, and I am still working to discover how various techniques work together.  As well, I am expanding the range of my work, excavating new possibilities for what I am open to doing in my writing.  All of the new things that are going on, of course I am still adjusting, learning to balance all of it together, and it makes sense that what I am most secure in, what I don't need to learn to do and have done for years, is not all coming through.  It may seem counter-intuitive, but in this case, because I am focusing on expanding my abilities as a poet, these newer elements are taking priority.  I've reached a degree of familiarity with them, but not so much that I can see how it all fits together yet.  Slowly, I am sure those possibilities will become clear.

All of this is rational to me.  I've had experiences in the past that reflect this pattern; yesterday, I wrote about coming through that very thing.  Yet, it does not change the fact that I feel, at times, a bit lost as a result of this.  Their are tools that feel a bit out of reach at the moment, in some way, though it is more as if I don't really know they exist while writing.  I mean, the process of creating a poem often requires me to be in the moment, so I don't want to step back and consider the exact technique in that particular way.  It feels inorganic to do that, for me.  I might go back and work things into a revision, but that is a different matter.  

Right now, as I consider all of this, I know full well that I am in a good place with my work, that I am progressing in many ways.  I feel fulfilled to know that I am creating poetry each day, and I am excited by the work I am doing.  Still, at times, when I am starting to actually write, all of that can vanish and I can feel that I don't have any idea what I am doing.  I think, though, that may be a necessary part, that this feeling accompanies taking the creative risks necessary in making any type of art.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Le Guin, Steering The Craft, Chapter Five: Adjectives and Adverbs (Exercise Five, Chastity)