A Writer's Notebook, Day Three-Hundred-And-Fifty-Eight

I did not feel very much like writing tonight.  The last several days have been somewhat frustrating, having nothing to do with my writing, and I am just a bit exhausted, as well as somewhat upset.  That's not really a state that lends itself to feeling creative, but I also realize that I would feel far worse about all of these things if I let them derail me from my work.  If that happened, it would give these events a feeling of power over me, and set up the idea that my doing work is related to my mood or some such.  As I said yesterday, my attitude is that I am a professional practicing a craft, and that doing so daily is important.  Equally, it is important for me to know this is my work, that I must do it even when I don't necessarily want to, just like so many others who very often feel compelled to be working when it is the last thing they want.

Now, as a result of this, I sat down and worked.  In taking that action, I took a certain amount of control, saying, even on these days, I still can do this, I still can create.  Even more, I allowed some of my experiences and feelings to be expressed in some of that work, attempting to take it away from my own personal disappointments and agitations, but to a different place, one in which I feel there is something others will find worth connecting to.  That act itself requires a level of perspective and I am not sure I have achieved it in these situations, at least not entirely, but the effort to go in that direction is itself a helpful thing.

In the end, doing the work has not made me feel entirely different, but that really isn't the point.  The fact is, the work I am doing is not about my own personal growth and development in that sense, but it is about communicating my experiences as a person, both good and bad, and I am also committed to practicing this craft each day.  Just living up to that itself makes me feel better, in some ways, because it is, as I said, evidence of my commitment, and a symbol of my attitude towards writing, and poetry in particular.  That I keep to my promise each is a way to honor those things no matter what is happening outside my work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Le Guin, Steering The Craft, Chapter Five: Adjectives and Adverbs (Exercise Five, Chastity)