A Writer's Notebook, Day Three-Hundred-And-Fifty-Five

As mentioned previously, today was my reading at The Book Cellar in Lake Worth, an event that I have been rather nervous about for the past weeks. I discussed much of this anxiety already, but it was mostly that I have not read in this way in a long time, and that I also felt a bit vulnerable in terms of a few of the poems I chose to read.


I got to the area early and had lunch with Melissa, then we went over. At this point we were still close to an hour early, but one of the people I had invited had arrived already. I also spoke to Judy Ireland, who runs the series, and I asked if I could read second since a few of my friends were running late. That worked out, so I settled in for the first segment of the reading.


I still, at this point, wasn't sure who I was reading with, as I had been told at previous events it was not determined. It worked out well, ashe other reader, Jon Mundell, is a fellow who I have met a few times, but I wasn't really familiar with his work. As mentioned, he read first, giving me a chance to sit and relax in the space for a bit. While I was distracted, if I am honest, by considering my own performance, I found that his writing was beautiful, though sad. He is clearly a very talented poet, and I am going to keep an eye out for his work.


My segment did begin auspiciously, as I spilled a glass of water on my way from my seat, but I think it went quite well besides that. I felt a bit nervous throughout, but I am told by others that I had a presence on stage and I know that the audience was responding strongly to many of the poems. I think in the future I may get a clearer sense of my patter between poems, including thinking up the names of people in advance.  I found that my memory was a bit fatigued on some fronts, as I stood there, and I wasn't able to thank everyone I wanted to individually.  That is important to me, but it doesn't reflect significantly on the reading, and I don't think others felt slighted.

I was told by many afterwards that they really appreciated the humor of the work, and there was also appreciation for the arch of the reading as a whole.  I was proud to be able to include a variety of poems, even some with more challenging content.  In the end, I think it was really well received.  I am not certain yet, but I might possibly have video of the reading, or at least part of it to share, but that will have to wait for another night.  I do want to thank Melissa for her support and my friends who took time to be there, and a number of whom had to travel to get to the event.  It is always better to feel you have support in the crowd already.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Writer's Notebook, Day Two-Hundred-And-Fifty

A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-Fifty-Nine

Poem: Already Over