A Writer's Notebook, Day Three-Hundred-And-Fifty-Four

Tomorrow afternoon I have my reading, and I am, I must admit, a bit nervous about the event.  I am sure that I am driving Melissa nuts tonight, to be honest, though I think she understands.  Part of the nervousness comes from the fact that this is my first real even of this sort in many years.  I've not done a reading, other than at an open mic, in a very long time, and I am a bit rusty.  That is why I have practiced reading the poems, looking them over and considering just how I want to present them.

I also have to admit that part of my nervousness comes from the content of the work as well.  One poem in particular is about a fairly personal experience and sharing that piece means exposing intimate vulnerabilities.  That is, of course, a part of being an artist of any sort, but it does not make it less intimidating as an experience.  I am glad to be reading that piece, but this is the first time I'll be sharing it so publicly, and I feel vulnerable as a result.

As well, I am also feeling a bit odd about being a featured reader at such an event, since I don't currently have a book or much published work at all.  First off, most people who do these kinds of events are doing it to promote their books, particularly to sell them at the event.  I can also imagine how it might seem to someone that does want to read as well, who is not yet widely published.  It can seem unfair that someone else in a similar boat is being promoted in such a way, and I do feel a bit guilty at that, if I am honest.  I mean, realistically, that is probably my own issue, but I do feel a bit strange reading as a featured guest when I don't have very much to show for myself in terms of a career.

All that being said, I am sure about the work I am reading, and I feel confident that I know how to present that work at this point.  I've done multiple read-throughs of the material, both silent and aloud, alone and with an audience, and I feel prepared. I have an outfit picked out, even.  I think it will be great, and I am fairly certain that once I get up there, I'll find that groove and it will all go great.  Either way, I'll be sure to share the details tomorrow.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Writer's Notebook, Day Two-Hundred-And-Fifty

A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-Fifty-Nine

Poem: Already Over