A Writer's Notebook, Day Two-Hundred-And-Ninety-Four

Well, I did not write two poems this morning, but it was really a scheduling issue more than anything.  I had to get out of the house by nine and didn't have a chance to work on a second poem.  I feel quite guilty about it, which I take as a positive sign, as it impels me to not miss tomorrow morning.  I did get three poems written today, and I feel quite good about them. 

In addition to that, I also did a fair amount of other work.  I sent out a manuscript to a chapbook competition, as well as beginning work on compiling another poetry manuscript, which I intend to send out shortly to another contest.  Beyond that, I did some more research on journals and I think I've identified some good markets, both for my poetry and for some of the fiction I have written over the past few years.

The fact is, while I have been doing work that I am proud of, I haven't ever really pressed myself to get it out there.  It feels stupid to me that I waited so long to get to this point, but I cannot change that, and it would be idiotic to allow that to stop me from moving forwards now.  I don't really want to beat myself up about the past, but instead to recognize the value in taking the path I am on.  And I do recognize that I have gained much in getting to where I am right now.

For one thing, the work I am doing at this point would never have been possible for me when I was younger.  I had talent, and I was certainly writing work that had merit, but I have spent much of my adult life honing that and developing my understanding of writing as a craft.  In a sense, I have been in training for the past several decades, and now I am at the point of readiness, where I can truly pout that training into practice. 

Indeed, I believe that much of the work I am doing now is work I would never have done if I had been writing all of these years.  I would have, of course, developed and learned, but the nature of the pursuit would have shaped my work drastically.  At this point, I have the confidence to do the work that matters to me, and have my own understanding of the work, in a way that I think would not be true if I hadn't spent so much time in readying myself.  It would certainly be nice to feel that I was already a success in the literary world, but I would rather be doing the work I am doing.

In many ways, my writing now is an attempt to go beyond what many would consider possible.  I want to write stories and poems that push the boundaries, and I think I have found ways to do that.  If I had been doing conventional work for the past twenty years, I don't think I would have made many of the discoveries I have, and I think my work would be far duller as a result. Now, of course, I am saying this from where I am now, and I know that, were I on a different path, I would probably feel good about the work I would be doing, and might have more to show for it externally.  The truth is, I cannot know the shape of my life if it were different  and I were already out there with my work, I would likely be happy about that, but, seeing as I can't change the past, I would rather make the decision to see the choices I've made in a positive light, if only because I know that the alternative perspective would be to get down on myself.  I've done that before, and it usually kills creativity. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Three Is Coming

A Writer's Notebook, Day Seventy-One