A Writer's Notebook, Day Three-Hundred-And-Fifteen
So, I posted a poem just now, a new poem, one that is sort of an example of the kind of plate spinning pieces I have mentioned before. I don't want to really discuss it, other than to say that I am putting it up just to sort of get myself used to the idea of posting a few poems every now and again. I have enough work that I want to share. If I can afford to put work out to journals that don't pay, I can also afford to put a few pieces here. It is a small step, but I hope those of you who read this blog will consider sharing that piece, if you find it interesting or worthwhile in some way.
I am going to keep this a bit short, since I am rather tired (as in the poem). I did get my four poems in, and I am rather pleased with the work, even if I am still feeling a bit low on inspiration at this moment. It's funny that a part of me also is itching to think up a good idea for a new animal fable of the sort I have previously described, and I think it may be that some are brewing in the back of my mind. It seems to me that such a desire usually indicates that something is coming, so I may well be closing in on some fresh ideas in that arena.
As well, I have a number of ideas that I still feel incapable of packing into the right forms yet. That is the best way I can think to describe it, as it is not only about being able to directly speak about a thing, but also being able to create a mode of bringing the reader into relationship with the idea or image at the center of the poem. In these pieces, I want to give a particular perspective, one that expresses these concepts as an experience of understanding. I may well have expressed this before, but my conception of a poem is as a sort of map to a mental location, to an internal experience of a sort. The goal is to transplant the reader into a subjectivity outside their own, in some sense. That, at least, is how I think poetry functions, or at least what I am to do with my work.
I am going to keep this a bit short, since I am rather tired (as in the poem). I did get my four poems in, and I am rather pleased with the work, even if I am still feeling a bit low on inspiration at this moment. It's funny that a part of me also is itching to think up a good idea for a new animal fable of the sort I have previously described, and I think it may be that some are brewing in the back of my mind. It seems to me that such a desire usually indicates that something is coming, so I may well be closing in on some fresh ideas in that arena.
As well, I have a number of ideas that I still feel incapable of packing into the right forms yet. That is the best way I can think to describe it, as it is not only about being able to directly speak about a thing, but also being able to create a mode of bringing the reader into relationship with the idea or image at the center of the poem. In these pieces, I want to give a particular perspective, one that expresses these concepts as an experience of understanding. I may well have expressed this before, but my conception of a poem is as a sort of map to a mental location, to an internal experience of a sort. The goal is to transplant the reader into a subjectivity outside their own, in some sense. That, at least, is how I think poetry functions, or at least what I am to do with my work.
Comments
Post a Comment