A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Hundred-Eight
I am, as mentioned, focusing my effort on revising my play. I need to be done with the current draft for the next session at Theatre Lab on the 11th and did a pass through that took me almost to the end. I stopped short, as I am at a point where I know that I am going to add a little more and I want to put a bit more thought into it before I go on.
In the current draft I am focusing on changing the age of the character, shifting into a present tense, and also adding the voices of the characters into the speech. This required me to also do a fair amount of the work that will reshape the plot, as well, since much of that is a result of these things. I think I've done a good job thus far of creating the frame for that, but I expect that I will want to go back and retexture much of the quoted speech. I think it will become important to do that, and am especially interested in creating more distinct voices so the actor can really play with that.
I think that I do have a lot more work on this. For one thing, it may well have expanded in this draft, and might need to shrink down a bit more. I am not sure of that, really, as I don't recall the exact length of the former draft, but I expect it has at least a bit. It may, therefore, be swelling to a point where it is going to be too long for the allotted performance time. That will, of course, mean that I must trim it down. My goal is to first put it together, though, and then to worry about just how long it can actually be. It has to be shaped and put together, and then I can prune it back to size once I am sure of what is actually there.
I suspect that I will email Matt about it fairly soon, to share some of my progress and to perhaps ask a few questions. I feel good about the work that I am getting done so far, but I am a bit worried, still, about making it feel a bit more active and dramatic in a way. I think that the tense change is doing a lot for that, but I also am wondering what else might be needed to facilitate that. In some ways, it is a bit difficult for me to think about, but I am learning to see it on stage and not just as a voice that I am conjuring on the page.
At this point, I am not looking at the big picture. I think that much of the subtext and larger issues here are things that I need to allow to happen on there own. My goal must be to work towards crafting the moments in the piece, and making it really about other things. I think that the issue of the father's health and the potential need for Jeffrey to move out of his parent's home is an important thing, and I think it may also need to be shown a bit more earlier. There is an implication of it, perhaps, already hanging over the play, but I know there are little things that I can do. The key is that Jeffrey is being protected from this, I think, and so it needs to be done in a very subtle way for the audience.
I am feeling, overall, excellent about what I've achieved in the current rewrite. As I said, I expect it is getting too long, but I know that can be trimmed back, and I would rather write too much, and then cut, then have no idea what to add. The material is growing because it needs more, but once it has what it needs, and I can look back to see just what that is, I believe I'll be able to do significant trimming.
Anyhow, the trimming is a minor concern, really, as I was actually more concerned about my ability to produce. Over the past week I have definitely been less productive in my work, and I had been somewhat concerned about that. Now, however, I do feel that I am back in gear, and I am extremely excited to get back to work tomorrow and see where it goes. I am sure I'll have much more work to do on the next pass, but I am very happy about the current progress.
It's been a very long day, but I am not going to get into that, except to say that it is long enough that I need to be in bed already...
In the current draft I am focusing on changing the age of the character, shifting into a present tense, and also adding the voices of the characters into the speech. This required me to also do a fair amount of the work that will reshape the plot, as well, since much of that is a result of these things. I think I've done a good job thus far of creating the frame for that, but I expect that I will want to go back and retexture much of the quoted speech. I think it will become important to do that, and am especially interested in creating more distinct voices so the actor can really play with that.
I think that I do have a lot more work on this. For one thing, it may well have expanded in this draft, and might need to shrink down a bit more. I am not sure of that, really, as I don't recall the exact length of the former draft, but I expect it has at least a bit. It may, therefore, be swelling to a point where it is going to be too long for the allotted performance time. That will, of course, mean that I must trim it down. My goal is to first put it together, though, and then to worry about just how long it can actually be. It has to be shaped and put together, and then I can prune it back to size once I am sure of what is actually there.
I suspect that I will email Matt about it fairly soon, to share some of my progress and to perhaps ask a few questions. I feel good about the work that I am getting done so far, but I am a bit worried, still, about making it feel a bit more active and dramatic in a way. I think that the tense change is doing a lot for that, but I also am wondering what else might be needed to facilitate that. In some ways, it is a bit difficult for me to think about, but I am learning to see it on stage and not just as a voice that I am conjuring on the page.
At this point, I am not looking at the big picture. I think that much of the subtext and larger issues here are things that I need to allow to happen on there own. My goal must be to work towards crafting the moments in the piece, and making it really about other things. I think that the issue of the father's health and the potential need for Jeffrey to move out of his parent's home is an important thing, and I think it may also need to be shown a bit more earlier. There is an implication of it, perhaps, already hanging over the play, but I know there are little things that I can do. The key is that Jeffrey is being protected from this, I think, and so it needs to be done in a very subtle way for the audience.
I am feeling, overall, excellent about what I've achieved in the current rewrite. As I said, I expect it is getting too long, but I know that can be trimmed back, and I would rather write too much, and then cut, then have no idea what to add. The material is growing because it needs more, but once it has what it needs, and I can look back to see just what that is, I believe I'll be able to do significant trimming.
Anyhow, the trimming is a minor concern, really, as I was actually more concerned about my ability to produce. Over the past week I have definitely been less productive in my work, and I had been somewhat concerned about that. Now, however, I do feel that I am back in gear, and I am extremely excited to get back to work tomorrow and see where it goes. I am sure I'll have much more work to do on the next pass, but I am very happy about the current progress.
It's been a very long day, but I am not going to get into that, except to say that it is long enough that I need to be in bed already...
Comments
Post a Comment