Poem: I feel bad for the guard at the museum

I feel bad for the guard at the museum

who was stationed
in the gallery room
with that one piece 
we saw today
that had the video camera,
the one that said
|"welcome," each time
 person walked
into the frame
on the television monitor
that displayed
the live feed.
It was that type 
of electronic voice,
like you would here
opening a shop door,
only it went off
twenty, thirty times
each minute,
or that is how it was 
when we were there,
when it was busy.
I would hope
there are quiet times,
because that guard
has to get sick of it.
Maybe that
is the point,
is why.  I am not certain
I understood the reasoning,
but I guess
it is about that,
is about the idea
of being welcomed
in a way
that feels abrasive
or alienating
and impersonal.
I could just be
reading into things, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Writer's Notebook, Day Two-Hundred-And-Fifty

A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-Fifty-Nine

Le Guin, Steering The Craft, Chapter Five: Adjectives and Adverbs (Exercise Five, Chastity)