Poem: He tells me the check did not clear

He tells me the check did not clear

but the bank shows it
as having been paid,

but he says
it didn't reach him,
the money, I mean.
He has the check,

and he deposited it.
He has never
played games with me,

or done anything
to make me not trust
that it is true,
that he is lying
or trying

to get away
with something or another.\

He does not seem angry,
maybe annoyed?  I don't
know.  It is not clear to me.
I think he is just
telling me what is true
and nothing more.

I should ask the bank
to look into it, I guess.
If he still says
he does not have
his money tomorrow,
I will call the bank.

I should have asked them
to do it today, probably.
He is the one
I am making wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Writer's Notebook, Day Two-Hundred-And-Fifty

A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-Fifty-Nine

Le Guin, Steering The Craft, Chapter Five: Adjectives and Adverbs (Exercise Five, Chastity)