A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Three-Hundred-And-Two

I went to my brother's this evening for dinner and we ended up going out shopping, then cooking a spaghetti dinner.  It is always strange to be there, to do such things.  I am working to try and feel normal about it, but there is always a discomfort that can't be overcome.  I don't think my brother understands that I am putting in an effort to accept this by going there, or recognizes how much it can strain me to spend time there.  I don't know that it matters so much, except that I suspect he thinks my spending time there has a different meaning, will take it as proof that it is a positive he is here, that I am enjoying his presence, when it is more complicated than that.  I do love him and want to spend time with him, and I want to be able to enjoy going to his home and all of it, but he has hurt me in ways I am not even certain he is able to understand.  I want to make it better, which is why I am putting in the effort, but I often feel he thinks he is putting in a huge effort when I feel like it is really not that way.  I know that is my perspective, and maybe he has legitimate reasons to feel he is doing more.  I can't know, in the end.  I am sure that it takes a lot for him to deal with me, at times, from his perspective, and I can understand that.  Even so, it feels as if that is not anything he didn't know when he chose this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

VanderMeer's Wonderbook, Chapter Four: Narrative Design (Continued)

Poem: It Was A Promise