A Writer's Notebook, Day Two-Hundred-And-Ninety

I have had an incredible day, one that feels like a turning point in many ways.  My friend and poetic collaborator Freesia McKee came to visit to help me work on some of the backlog of poems that I have on my computer.  In total, I have about 390 poems on my computer, most of which are fairly recent, and I have been attempting to sort the one's that seem closest to completion.  Today, we not only identified a large number of those poems, but actually worked on the minor tweaks that many of the pieces needed.  We only got through a hundred or so poems from my PC, but managed to do the fine tuning on a large number as well.  By the end of the day I had moved around 70 more poems into the "completed" folder.

In addition to this, we also organized a set of these poems into a chapbook, as well as identifying a number of markets for my work, preparing packets, and even sending out a few submissions.  I feel incredibly enthused, though I am exhausted from the effort.  Seriously, I now have enough poems that I feel are finished to create a full length book, though I would still like to add some more before I begin considering the idea of actually creating one.  I feel really lucky to have the help of Freesia, who is an incredibly talented poet in her own right, and who has been an incredibly supportive presence.  I know I wouldn't have gotten to this point so easily, let alone so quickly, without her help.

So, now I am really ready to send out my poems for publication.  This is a bit of a daunting step, but I feel prepared, especially because I know I have support from those around me, and because I trust that the work is good, even if I don't always get the responses I would like.  Rejection is never fun, and publishing involves opening oneself up to that.  But, I have a lot of support, and I trust those who have looked at my work thus far to be honest about it.  I may not get the results I want right away, but I know that I will get there, and I trust that their are those who will want this work for their journals, even if they are not places that I think of at first.  It is a matter getting the work out there, of building an audience, and of continuing to create more and better work. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Le Guin, Steering The Craft, Chapter Five: Adjectives and Adverbs (Exercise Five, Chastity)