A Writer's Notebook, Day Three-Hundred-And-Thirteen

While I am still puzzling through what it is that I see happening in my work lately, I am stuck by the consideration of a certain irony, one that is not original to my thinking, but which I don't believe I truly understand before.  This is to do with the idea of voice, and with many of the ideas I have been discussing recently, and is fairly simple to explain.  In my recent experiences, I found how difficult it is to escape one's voice, even when handicapped by found material, or otherwise limited in a way that would seem to stifle that quality, it still remains.  It is impossible to get away from it.  Of course, as a writer, particularly as a poet, my goal is to go past what I can do, and to expand my voice, in a deep sense, but that becomes a contradiction, of course, when one cannot escape that aspect of identity.

So, in a certain sense, a writer is a prisoner of their voice and can never get beyond it, but within that, when one really discovers it, their is a liberation which occurs.  As I mentioned yesterday, though I didn't think of it that way, I feel that much of the work I was doing was constrained by rules that had kept me on a certain course, ideas that were about my writing and my poetry, and those ideas were and are valid, but were still limiting.  The reason, though, that they remained was a lack of trust in myself, in the idea that I knew how to write the poem without them.  In discovering that the voice is inescapable, I am freed from the effort of attempting to maintain rules intended to keep that quality in my work.

I am certain this will be a continual process, though.  While I am now aware of how to move past certain limits, it is worth realizing I never saw those limits before, only followed them intuitively.  Now, I am sure that limits still exist which I have yet to notice.  Like so much else in this journey, I sense a cycle that will be renewing and expanding, one where my work renews itself through the recognition of what I had accepted as true before, without even knowing it. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Le Guin, Steering The Craft, Chapter Five: Adjectives and Adverbs (Exercise Five, Chastity)