A Writer's Notebook, Day Nineteen

Still working on the story.  It comes a bit at a time, but I feel good about what comes.  Some of the detail work is quite important at this moment in the story, and that can be a bit slow, but I cannot discount feeling positive about the story at this point. 

I am rethinking some of the ideas from yesterday.  I like that notion, but I think it is likely to be a problem in this particular narrative.  The issue is that the story has a hidden knowledge element, a twist of a sort, and that wouldn't work inside the context of such a narrator, I don't think.  The narrator would have to be aware of the facts about the sister's death, and as such not telling the reader is withholding in a way that feels like cheating, if the narrator is so aware.  Perhaps that can be dealt with through a subversion, or even an acknowledgement of some sort.  It is possible that a statement early on could include a comment that this information is irrelevant to the story, with a stipulation that the information important to the story will come out when it is supposed to, or even a suggestion that the character's reveal themselves in some sense.  It might best be done in subtext, actually...  But the point I am making is that I could do it if I own that early enough and make it part of the story in some way.  I don't know, though.  In part, I need to see what the ending does and how I feel about the thing when it is done.  The narrative idea is one that I will certainly keep in my mind, though, as I do like it quite a bit, and it may be that it will work here, if I play it in the right way, but that may not be needed at all, or, if the story works well enough, a complete detriment.

It is a matter of trusting the process.  I do enjoy having an enthusiasm for what will happen in the edit, and it is also encouraging to be so certain of getting through to the end.  Still, I feel that focusing upon that editorial process, while inspiring in a way, is also keeping me from finishing the work as it is and may well need to be. 

What is most important, I say again, is keeping up with the work and getting to the end of this story.  At that point, I can see what will work best in revision.  I may go with this idea, I may not.  In either case, though, considering the question now is premature, and shifts my focus from what is actually on the page.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Three Is Coming

A Writer's Notebook, Day Seventy-One

Poem: Is He Gone, Now